Friday, August 27, 2010

Hanna Old Time Band at the Byemoor Fair

The town of Byemoor, Alberta, sprang up along the railroad in 1924, that's 85 years ago. Many of the buildings came from the earlier towns of Leo (eight miles away) and Hartshorn (five miles away.)

The 34th annual Byemoor Fair, held Saturday afternoon, may be one of the last. These days, more people are interested in the 32 team ball tournament, then the show of horticulture, home economics, needlework, handicrafts, hobbies, flowers, art and photography. I entered fudge in the exhibition. It was fun eating the flops and certainly got the kids on board. I managed to produce a satisfactory third place fudge on the second try, but this wasn't the first year I entered fudge. Leo entered the vegetables we grew, Oliver a wooden catapult he made in the garage, and Will his electric guitar, on Jim's behalf.

Eight members of the Hanna Old Time band played Saturday afternoon in the hall, Irene Brooker on keyboard is their local member. My favourite new song that I didn't know before was "My Little Girl." As a little girl, I learned the Old Time songs that my sister played on accordion along with Chester Morlock on piano. For dances in Byemoor or Endiang we did the schottische, the butterfly, waltz, fox-trot and polka.

No comments:

Post a Comment